Friday, July 21, 2006

I am unemployed

Hello everybody. Yes, I have earned a juris doctorate; no, I do not want to practice as a lawyer, and I am unemployed. Life in the Cincinnati 'burbs for the past two months has been slow and the understimulation is resulting in negative stress. I have trouble writing, thinking, or escaping my sense of ennui and confusion about why I spent the last three years in law school, reading boring texts madly and paying tuition through the nose for reasons that I expected to become clear post-graduation. They remain unclear.

I go to the public library, my current location, on a near-daily basis to check higher ed jobs.com and the chronicle of higher education for new writer/editor and assistant registrar listings in universities. I frequently check USAjobs.gov for new writing and intelligence-related listings. I have a resume on monster.com. Nevertheless, despite floating around 25 or 30 cover letters and resumes to nonprofits organizations and public interest groups, I have not received one phonecall. Am I expecting results too quickly, I hope? Or have I wasted a lot of time and money only to be doomed to work as an attorney, putting my mental health and self-respect in jeopardy? If my life today is objectively easy, something others aspire towards in terms of low daily energy expenditures and material possessions, does that make me a bad person for disliking it so much and complaining about it?

Gas is expensive, so travel is out until I have a job. The car is on its last legs and it is a rolling environmental hazard, with all the black smoke it puts out after I start it up and the oil it burns or leaks everywhere.

I have been working on a concept for a science-fiction story that's been bouncing about my head for months. It is not really going anywhere. I am toying with a synthesizer program using free VSTs and soundfonts to make laptop music.

I feel like a loser. I appreciate hints, suggestions, advice, or encouragement.

1 Comments:

Blogger intlprof said...

MAYBE WE CAN HELP, IF YOU ARE STILL WANTING TO BE EMPLOYED, TWO YEARS LATER... OR ARE LOOKING TO LEAVE JOB TO TEACH OVERSEAS.

TEACH JURISPRUDE, OR RELATED.

AS IN INT'L LAW. INT'L FINANCIAL JUSTICE, INT'L JUSTICE, OR BABY ENGLISH AND FINGER PAINTING, IN CHINA OR HANOI.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home