Sunday, September 04, 2005

Blog-o-scape sullied once more

I wholeheartedy accepted my invitation here to spread my opinions like so much spongy, sweet, and distinctly evil marshmallow fluff over the peanut butter sandwich that is this blog. I plan on bringing the aftertaste that you enjoy but feel wrong about liking.

I thought for my first post here I'd jump in on the whole Katrina discourse. Why wasn't the country better prepared for this? I mean New Orleans is below sea level, and hurricanes hit the gulf coast. Shouldn't there have been more of a plan and a faster way to recover, espescially given our dependancy on the oil refineries there? But amidst all the tragedy ( all kidding and ranting aside this is really awful) and confusion, all I can think about is this guy who used to stand on bourbon st with a big sign asking everyone to repent while he yelled that god's wrath would come if we didn't clean up our acts... I wonder if he belives he was right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clark said...

Shortly after Katrina missed me here in north-central Florida, but before it made its second landfall, I remember commenting to several people that I regretted not seeing New Orleans before it was destroyed. I expect it was one of those pre-emptive psychological devices whereby I was preparing myself for the worst, so that I might later joke about it once the worst had not come to pass. Mentioning this to another friend several days after the storm hit, I said something along the lines of "apparently it was a beautiful city." He responded with the story of a medical student who had observed that New Orleans was a great place to learn--a consequence of the nearly-endless stream of gunshot victims.

There's going to be a lot of finger-pointing going around in the next weeks and months and, as it has been observed in the NYT today, this may well be the domestic issue that dominates Bush's second term, yet I'm forced to wonder how much of the violence we saw on TV was a product of the misery and desperation caused by rising floodwaters, and how much of it was a product of cameras finally being there to film it.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home