Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Neighborhood.. and where it's going

So, I thought I lived in a decent neighborhood. Well, that's not entirely true. I don't really live in a neighborhood at all. It's really more of a semi-main road near the intersection with another even-more-main road. On said intersection (well, at the corner of it.. the corner closest to me) is a Walgreens. I've never been too impressed with this particular convenience store but, given its proximity to my abode, and in particular the lack of needing to cross a street to get to it, it has earned, at the very least, its label.

The first sign of something amiss came last week when, in the midst of a nasty bout of some sort of illness, I set out to purchase some Robitussin. At the counter, the clerk asked for my name and birthdate. I was aware that Florida, like many red--er.. rural--states had instituted laws to combat the use of pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) in the production of meth. However, I was unaware that these laws also covered Gualefisin and Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide (the two ingredients in Robitussin.. yes, sadly enough, I read the labels on cold medicine). As it turns out, they don't cover those particular ingredients (no, I'm not typing them again) and the clerk apparently just thought I looked sketchy. On a related note, Florida's "shoot first" law went into effect on October 1, so be careful pissing off Floridians. They can shoot you.

Returning now, however, to the subject of the post (at least, the subject when I started writing it), it turns out that the neighborhood Walgreens may not be so friendly after all, despite its convenience. According to this report out of a different Florida county, the employees are now stabbing each other on lunch break. While this may not be such a bad thing were it to apply to that particularly insolent clerk from the previous paragraph, it is a bit disturbing. Ultimately, this all just confirms the growing sentiment I've had for some time now--I really, really need out of this state.

1 Comments:

Blogger 23skidoo said...

That's actually how I feel about Ohio. Here in law school, we only figuratively stab one another in the back, but such actions tend to occur less often during lunch, when we are all too busy feeding our massive intellects and egos the calories they require.

Perhaps this website will help you? http://www.findyourspot.com

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home